Wednesday, July 20, 2011

The Accidental Billionaires

Source of picture: connect.in.com

Facebook needs no introduction. I have an account, and I can bet my life savings ($3000) that whoever is reading this post has an account or had one at some stage. It's "revolutionised" the way people interact with one another online. It's also "revolutionised" the way we procrastinate. I set up my Facebook account towards the end of 2007... in the middle of my university exam period. No, not the brightest idea I've had as an 18 year old.

I saw the movie The Social Network (which was inspired by The Accidental Billionaires) last year and enjoyed it immensely. I was fascinated by how the movie played out. Stories and flashbacks told during a litigation was a genius concept. Okay, maybe I'm exaggerating a little bit, but to a law student watching the film, anything remotely relating to law makes me feel like I have a leg up in understanding the film over everyone else. I also have a fondness for intellectual property* so the reason behind the lawsuits kept me engaged.

The concept behind this website is genuinely intriguing to me. A website that is now used by millions of people across the world was created in a random Harvard dorm room. And it rose to it's status through 'betrayal' and the 'back-stabbing' that attaches itself to immensely successful work in the corporate world. Truly greedy, ruthless and cut-throat. Yes, I love a good drama.

So The Accidental Billionaires details with the who, what, where, why and how of the social network. It changed the way people connected. It crushed its competitors. It tore relationships apart. It is at the top of its game and shows no signs of slowing down. But, who knows? Google Plus may have something to say about that in a couple of months time. (With whom, I will not be creating an account anytime soon. There's only so much a human being can take of people one doesn't like, or even knows, requesting to be a 'friend'. One social network is enough for my liking.)

*Hey, it is a perfectly legitimate interest one can have... although it is subject to me being called a nerd from time to time...

No comments:

Post a Comment