Sunday, October 23, 2011

Comedy Nights

Picture found on: alexh
"I love people who make me laugh. I honestly think it's the thing I like most, to laugh. It cures a multitude of ills. It's probably the most important thing in a person." - Audrey Hepburn
Attending comedy shows/gigs has been a frequent hobby of mine ever since I was 17 years old. If ever I were to spend more money than that on fashion and beauty products, it would be on comedians. I try to go to at least 3 or 4 stand up shows a year. (You know, just to keep up with the ever changing world of pop culture.) And if luck serves me well, I hope to head to Melbourne in the future to attend the Melbourne International Comedy Festival held every year in April - an array of local and international talent all under the one roof!

My favourite comedians tend to be extremely intelligent and witty in their observational humour. I have a great affection for local Australian comedians (Wil Anderson, Akmal Saleh, Peter Helliar, Kitty Flanagan, Frank Woodley.) Oh, and Americans with irony always blow my mind too. (Cue Louis CK, Paul F Tompkins, etc.). And the odd racial humourists (the good kind!) in Chris Rock and Russell Peters. At times, they can be overtly offensive but that's the risk they run with an audience on any given night.

There's nothing like the feeling of laughing like your insides are about to burst. Or, in my situation, laughing until my laugh lines are forever indented into the side of my mouth. I've fallen in love with the act of laughing. Or rather, the side effects from watching people take the schtick out of themselves. Someone to show me: "If you think you're life is bad, at least you're not me".

No comments:

Post a Comment