Tuesday, June 7, 2011

Hey You! What Song Are You Listening To?


There are three things I adore about this video.

1) I love the atmosphere of New York. Look at the commuters walking around the city during the winter- rugged up in winter gear, headphones in ears, focusing on not bumping into others doing the same thing. The lights and LCD screens of Times Square are fantastic! I frequently imagine myself standing in the middle of it, arms spread open, while a camera pans around me looking into the sky. You know, the stereotypical city shot to signify the embrace of the surroundings? Well, New York is definitely a place I must visit before old age cripples me and takes my arm waving and spinning abilities with it.

2) The guy listening to The Black Keys "Too Afraid To Love You", is divine... I am a sucker for men with a shaved head and strong facial features. (I just had to throw that in there.)

3) I find it interesting to hear what people are playing on their iPods. Even more surprising when I would expect them to listen to a specific genre of music, only to discover they are listening to something far from it. For example, I certainly didn't think the gentleman sitting by the stack of tables was listening to Lady Gaga. It just goes to show that you shouldn't assume anything, really.

It's fair to say that music takes up, roughly, 60% of my knowledge. I'm a self-confessed music junkie. Much to the dismay of my academic studies, I listen to a wide range of music and enjoy taking the time to research about songs (and their singers) to learn how the song came about. This results in knowing very odd and useless facts (which I usually pull out at dinner parties, haha). If you want to know if a song was likely to have been produced by Ryan Tedder from One Republic, I'm the girl to go to.

With that said, let's take a look at what my Top 5 played songs are on my iPod. I don't have a favourite band or song, it's impossible to restrict oneself to the many wonderful options out there in the musical world.

You've Got the Love (The Source Cover)- Florence and the Machine. What can I say? It's the harp strings that get me. It's an instant spirit-lifting song that makes you want to celebrate Florence's love with her! I listen to this when I feel crappy about my love life. Haha. Throw your hands up in the air!
    Forever - Chris Brown. Guilty pleasure. As you can probably tell, I am a dork when it comes to joyous love songs. Say what you will about Chris Brown's musical talents, but this song was stuck on repeat across clubs, radio stations and stayed in the Top 10 Australian charts for an extremely long time. It's a happy song and has a great beat to it. Also, Keri Hilson provides the backing vocals for this song. Another great artist I fancy and a fool proof recipe for success.

    Sunsets - Powderfinger. Ever since I've owned an mp3 player, you can be sure to find a Powderfinger song on there. They are one of my favourite bands and if ever I feel homesick when I'm in a foreign country, I listen to Powderfinger. I was quite devastated when they split last year. So much so that I listened to them everyday for two weeks before attending their last goodbye concert. Their music conjours up beautiful sunsets and beaches - a sense of openness, freedom and relaxation. It's hard to convey how 'Australian' their sound is so the closest phrase I can use to describe their musical style is "laid-back rock". Give them a try... you won't regret it.

    3AM - Matchbox Twenty. This is the first Matchbox Twenty song that catapulted the band to international fame. And it was also the first song I can remember listening to on the radio. You can say that I have a strong affinity for this song. I'm listening to this song as I type this post.

    Make You Feel My Love (Bob Dylan Cover) - Adele. You didn't think I'd write this post without making a mention of the wonderful Adele Adkins, did you now?
      I'm interested in hearing about your favourite artists and songs. There's still room on my iPod to add new talent!

      *There is also a "London Edition" of the abovementioned video, where the question was put to a couple of Londoners . You can watch it here.

      No comments:

      Post a Comment