Sunday, June 19, 2011

Sunday Morning Satisfaction

Source of picture: piccsy

Getting up at an ungodly hour on a Sunday morning is nothing I would willingly do on a regular basis... unless it's for a big, beautiful breakfast in Fremantle. Usually, I reserve Sunday (late) mornings for the gym but today a breakfast was part of my best friend's birthday celebrations so I was obliged to go. Not that I didn't want to in the first place - my friend and I have known each other for the better part of 2 decades! But still, I begrudgingly got out of bed at 7am and rushed around getting ready and, at the same time, making sure I wasn't late. (I did end up being a little bit late but I apologised profusely!)

A group of us ate at a little, quiet corner restaurant in Fremantle and chatted away for roughly an hour. My other friend thought the manager was eyeing us to get out of the place because we had been there for so long. I told him he was paranoid but we ended up leaving 5 minutes after having that discussion. The restaurant itself was lovely - away from the cold draft of the Fremantle piers and away from most of the big and busy restaurants in the heart of the town. There's something oddly chic and refined about the whole experience. I honestly cannot remember the last time I had a hearty morning breakfast, let alone having it outside of my house. Today, I discovered how much I have missed it and wondered why I didn't do this more often.

It surprised me to realize how extremely gratified I became when I ate a delicious meal outside. If I knew this was what it took to make me cheerful for a while, why didn't I pursue this as a regular activity? But even as I reflect over this question, I hold the same excuses as I'm sure other people have when it comes to doing something that requires going out of one's way to perform. Time, money and other commitments barely scratch the surface of my day to day life. 

Life is chaotic but if we can all find that little bit of comfort once in a while, we should make the effort to see it happen. So I've written a note to self: Have more breakfasts outside. Even if it means putting money aside, dragging friends out of their houses, skipping one gym class and getting up at an hour when the rest of the city is still asleep.

No comments:

Post a Comment