Sunday, November 13, 2011

Be Absorbent

Picture found on: hist0rique
"Become like a sheet of blotting paper and soak it all in. Later on you can figure out what to keep and what to unload." - Haruki Murakami, Kafka on the Shore
Murakami has struck a chord within me with his wonderful words. Again. (Also reminding me that I have to buy another packet of facial blotting tissues... I have skin oilier than a fish and chip shop.) But vanity aside, one of the most important aspects that a person can hold is the ability to transition ever so seamlessly into an unfamiliar territory - that is, into the next chapter of life, whatever that may be.

The biggest challenges are usually faced with closed minds. I am to start planning a grand travel adventure at the end of my studies. And if there is anything that can be learnt from watching 10 seasons of 'The Amazing Race' is that travel can never be fully enjoyed with a closed mind. In fact, it acts as a hindrance. The winners (with notable exceptions) always seem to exude an air of happiness amongst them, due to the sheer reasons of embracing the physical and mental stresses along their journeys.

I am looking forward to the next chapters of my life - graduation, adventures, working (okay, maybe not so much the last one). No doubt, all extremely nerve-wracking experiences, as I'm sure many of these things are. But in Murakami's words, I must keep the following in mind: soak up all your experiences, whether they are amazingly noteworthy or terribly confronting. Embrace all with open arms. 

No comments:

Post a Comment