Saturday, November 26, 2011

In The Meantime, Forget Yourself

Picture found on: exzackt
"Develop an interest in life as you see it; the people, things, literature, music - the world is so rich, simply throbbing with rich treasures, beautiful souls and interesting people. Forget yourself." - Henry Miller
As we are etching ever closer towards the end of 2011, it's best to spend our holidays and free time enjoying things that we love and surrounding ourselves with those whom we love. 

My last set of exams have ended, which means I have time to focus on things that I find extremely enjoyable ala superficial crap - catching up on good TV shows, updating my knowledge on fashion via magazines, getting around to downloading new songs onto my iPod (and possibly spending hours playing Angry Birds on my iPad). Haha. Of course, I have no intention of spending the majority of the time sitting on the couch. I need to spend my holidays outside my natural habitation. I'm heading to Phuket for a mini holiday during New Years. And what does every girl want to do before going to a tropical paradise? Apart from shopping for holiday beach clothes, I have to summon the motivation to get my keg belly back to the gym and tone up. Flat washboard abs, please! Who knows what kinds of delicious Thai platters I'll be filling my body with.  But, as lame as some may find it, I am looking forward to reading. In fact, I've lined up 10 books to see me through the coming summer months before semester starts again. I may even purchase more (a goal of mine is to read all of the books that have been awarded the 'Man Booker Prize for Literary Fiction'). I am already picturing myself reading on the pristine Karon Beach sand overlooking the Andaman Sea. Bliss. 

In the meantime, I will forget myself. I'll forget the annoying trait of paranoia I've developed when things don't go smoothly. Forget what others think and see of me. In a nutshell, to rid the selfishness in me for a while. My time will be much better spent immersing myself in other things, other cultures, new people, new ideas. Yes, this definitely sounds like a great way to start my holidays.

No comments:

Post a Comment