|Picture found on: observando.net|
"Don’t wish me happiness. I don’t expect to be happy all the time… It’s gotten beyond that somehow. Wish me courage and strength and a sense of humour. I will need them all." - Anne Morrow Lindbergh
Today I officially turn 22 years of age. A decent amount of time to be spent on this Earth, but painfully embarrassing to admit that I haven't accumulated an amount of knowledge over the years to show for it. Today wasn't particularly noteworthy, unfortunately. My mum and I went shopping, however I didn't end up buying anything (shock!); Lunch at a Chinese restaurant wasn't as good as I expected; and I spent the afternoon reviewing my exam notes(!). Pitiful behaviour, I admit. But I digress. I didn't particularly organise anything for celebrations, but having exams tends to limit the kinds of festivities one can throw during this period. However, I did have time to reflect on how my life could be better spent on letting go of unwanted memories and relationships. So I have compiled some short thoughts on what has enlightened me this year.
- Take risks. The courageous are successful for a reason.
- Save up and travel more. It truly broadens the mind.
- Money worked for is valuable than money given for free (although it doesn't hurt...).
- Letting go is harder than people on TV/books/quotes make it out to be.
- Yoga is the new black... leggings.
- Change is good. Change is important.
- Leaving things to fate is frightening, but excitement doesn't come to those who plan meticulously.
- Defeat isn't always the most cheer-inducing event one can go through, but it's not the worst.
- The best way to appreciate something is to be without it for awhile.
- One can't start the next chapter of life if one keeps re-reading the last.
- Food is comforting. And dangerous if taken carelessly. Use with caution.
- Sad thoughts can creep up at unsuspecting moments. Don't fight it. It'll pass.
- Music is the cure to most things. The rest can be taken care by chocolate.
- Reading literary fiction does wonders to our soul.
- People can never be anything but themselves. Don't expect too much.
- Hard work is always rewarded... even if takes more time than expected to be recognised.
- Comparing one's life to another is like comparing apples to oranges. I must keep in mind that I didn't have the same opportunities as those I envy.
- The ability to understand one another is a skill worth cultivating.
- Like attracts like.
- Happiness is unattainable if one continues to search for it in the wrong places.
- Life's a bitch, and then you kick its ass.
- Re-evaluating it starts here.