Tuesday, February 21, 2012

Love Is

Picture found on: shahirzag
"It had flaws, but what does that matter when it comes to matters of the heart? We love what we love. Reason does not enter into it. In many ways, unwise love is the truest love. Anyone can love a thing because. That's as easy as putting a penny in your pocket. But to love something despite? To know the flaws and love that too? That is rare and pure and perfect."- Patrick Rothfuss
This post may be a week or so late but surely there's no time limit on the celebration of love, is there? I hope everyone had a lovely day on Valentines Day (yes, I'm well aware that I will die a lonely old spinster but my intentions are good and pure, with not a hint of malice when I say that). Anywho, I should digress. On that particular day of love, I found myself eavesdropping on a conversation that was taking place behind me as I sat on the train. A young man is chatting away on the phone to, what I concluded to be, his gym buddy. His high profile talk went somewhat along the lines of this:

Loud Young Man: "Yeah mate, I bought her a bunch of roses that set me back a couple of paychecks. I also ordered a large novelty sized teddy bear. You know, the ones that are bigger than humans? Yeah, I got her that. She was complaining last year because I didn't get her anything. So I just got her stuff she'd like.... Yeah mate, I know... Yeah what can you do, you know?"

Needless to say, it was one of the few enchanting moments I've had whilst commuting back from work. I'd like to think that this moment isn't a reflection of the 'true meaning'of V Day. (Although that conversation and the copious amounts of Facebook posts denouncing the integrity of the holiday by blaming Hallmark and similar companies, may say otherwise.) But it's funny, isn't it? That love can be expressed in all sorts of ways - including it's expression in material form. But we love what we love. And if our love has to be shown through chocolate covered hearts, cringeworthy messages of love in cards, or a human sized teddy bear? Then so be it. It's cheesy, yes. But I can deal with one day of corniness for the knowledge that love is palpable. Love exists. Love is.

No comments:

Post a Comment