Wednesday, August 10, 2011

Commit Thyself

Source of picture: becoming sarah
"I believe life is constantly testing us for our level of commitment, and life’s greatest rewards are reserved for those who demonstrate a never-ending commitment to act until they achieve. This level of resolve can move mountains, but it must be constant and consistent. As simplistic as this may sound, it is still the common denominator separating those who live their dreams from those who live in regret." - Anthony Robbins
Commitment - A word that has been bookmarked in my life dictionary. There have been many proud moments where I have been dedicated to a certain project for the long haul, and the results have been overwhelmingly joyful. Unfortunately, there have been times where I've given up quite too easily or I've completed a project but the results have been disappointingly bitter. In those cases, I do feel like burying my face in my pillow, or punching my pillow, or throwing my pillow... Basically, I have a blatant disregard for the sanctity of the fluffy ball of wool I rest my head on every night. Later, I would come to regret giving up and come across the realisation of letting go too soon.

My greatest commitment to date has been the way I look after my body. Losing weight wasn't my primary goal at the beginning of my 'new look' (although, no one could argue it wasn't a bonus!). But rather, my goals were to feel healthy, to look healthy and to have an active lifestyle. I signed up to my local gym 5 years ago and now, I have reached a place of which I am more than happy with. I've achieved what I set out to do and pushed myself through tough moments. But, in saying that, I shouldn't stop looking after my body simply because I've obtained my goal. In fact, I don't want to stop; it is an ongoing endeavour. I've established a love/hate relationship with the exercise classes that are offered at my gym and if it weren't for my persistence and continued 'commitment' to waking up early on Sunday mornings, I wouldn't have found a new love - Yoga!

It saddens me to hear stories of friends who never 'followed through' on a project, and, after, feel bitter with regret. And consequently, I've only come across a few people who truly know the meaning of 'hard work'. After all, commitment and hard work go hand-in-hand. Commitment must be constant and consistent- not sporadic or intermittent.  Although it has taken me years to fully comprehend it, I now understand that it isn't simply about gaining the expected results. There's more to it than that. Being committed can open doors to experiences and activities that you would not find yourself in, had you not taken the first steps. Achieving your set goal(s) is only, really, the beginning of great things to come.

No comments:

Post a Comment