Sunday, August 7, 2011

Saturday Night Lights

Source of picture: worldofthoughts
"There was a sky somewhere above the tops of the buildings, with stars and a moon and all the things there are in a sky, but they were content to think of the distant street lights as planets and stars. If the lights prevented you from seeing the heavens, then perform a little magic and change reality to fit the need. The street lights were now planets and stars and moon."  - Hubert Selby Jr., Requiem for a Dream
So maybe our view wasn't exactly as beautiful or as mesmerising as the one above. Nonetheless, it was still a picturesque setting for a lovely dinner in the sky. To be able to look over the sun setting over Perth city was amazing. And the addition of a discounted 3 course meal was the cherry on top of a heavily-covered chocolate sundae.

I've always had a fascination with city lights at night, as well as the skyline that scatters across large bodies of water. For me, there's something about glinting lights that captures my undivided attention. I recall standing outside my friend's house late at night, and from his front porch, we could see a glimmer of street lights lined parallel alongside a hill off in the far distance. I found myself staring at the lights for a good 5 minutes or so. There was something hypnotising about the way in which they flickered and glowed amongst the darkness. My friend explained how, when he used to smoke, he would stand in his driveway and stare off into the lights... I can very much understand the fascination created from an act as tiny as flicking on a switch.

The street and city lights are my version of planets and stars and moon. It brings about the feeling that there is life other than my own. As my friend simply puts, "It's a sign that life exists...". And in a comforting way, the lights make me feel as though I am not alone.

No comments:

Post a Comment