Wednesday, August 17, 2011

Inner Balance

Source of picture: healthyisthenewsexy
Yoga is evenness of mind”: detachment from the dualities of pain and pleasure, success and failure. Therefore “yoga is skill in action,” because this kind of detachment is required if one is to act in freedom, rather than merely react to events compelled by conditioning.” - Eknath Easwaran  
For those who are 'avid' readers of my blog, it may come as no surprise that I do enjoy dabbling in my meditative ways... in particular, my fondness for Yoga. To be frank, I had never given yoga or meditative exercises much attention over the past couple of years. While everyone has been lapping up the bikram fads, I've apparently been sitting on the couch exercising and stretching my jaw with potato chips. However, I have decided to take Yoga/Pilates/Contortionism quite seriously this year. I suppose my goal is to be able fit in a suitcase so I can become a street performer if ever my career in the legal profession should fall through. 

Sure, I've taken classes every now and again to give my muscles a break but ever since I've found myself thrown into a chaotic lifestyle, I needed to find a permanent outlet to channel my anger and stress. You know, so I don't go around murdering people after 8pm... And, oddly enough, my Body Combat classes weren't going to be enough. (Ironically, they may have encouraged me to become more violent. Haha.)

In all seriousness, I never realised how much I needed to stretch my body into awkward positions. Although my body is bending in ways it shouldn't, my mind seems to be at complete ease, focusing only on my meditating ways. Every Friday at 6pm, after a tough working/studying week, I make my way down to my local gym and sun-salutate, upward dog my body to its fullest potential. The endorphin rush afterwards is bliss.

And who doesn't want to start/end the day off with inner happiness? It's a full-proof plan, I say.

No comments:

Post a Comment