Sunday, August 28, 2011

One Day

"Live each day as if it's your last', that was the conventional advice, but really, who had the energy for that? What if it rained or you felt a bit glandy? It just wasn't practical. Better by far to simply try and be good and courageous and bold and to make a difference. Not change the world exactly, but the bit around you. Go out there with your passion and your electric typewriter and work hard at...something. Change lives through art maybe. Cherish your friends, stay true to your principles, live passionately and fully and well. Experience new things. Love and be loved, if you ever get the chance.
I’m not a great fan of overtly-romantic novels but in saying that, give me an unfortunate love story and I'll listen... It's a good distraction from my non-existent one. Haha. I first came across this book when I was in Singapore earlier this year. I wandered into a local bookstore after work one evening; I needed something to read on my train journeys and listening to the same songs repetitively on my iPod became insufferable. I scanned the bookshelves and as fate would have it, my eyes were drawn to One Day. Long story short, it will be one of the few novels I will read over and over again. (A lovely elderly man on the train noticed the book in my hand, and we ended up talking for the rest of the journey!)

My affinity for this book stems from an unfortunate truth for many people: some of us may never find our true significant other. Even worse, finding that person and not realising that they were in our lives for a long time. Emma and Dexter go on to lead seperate lives after their short stint together but, nonetheless, keep in touch over 20 years. The author, David Nicholls, doesn't follow the typical cliche love story between boy and girl. They don't spend the 'rest of their lives together'. No one's fighting terribly for the other's love and affection. No one is standing outside the other's window, throwing stones. No one is making big affirmations of their love to the other. The characters simply move on with their lives, unaware of the potential between them. To me it feels... realistic. Sad, but real. Hence why I loved reading it.

One Day is released in Australian cinemas on September 1st.  

I will be on hiatus for the next week - uni commitments are always looming in my world. I hope to be in contact with you all soon!

No comments:

Post a Comment